Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"AS-IS"

So many times we find ourselves dealing with the "AS-IS's" in our lives. We find it an irritant or a distraction and sometimes even a huge halt to our plans-whatever the case it is something less than what we thought we would have in our "Lives Happily Ever-After" lifestyle. But then, if we care to take time to look at others we can always see that we are better off than SO MANY that we really have nothing to complain about. But then again, there is the other side of the coin of achieving the American Dream and because that is a goal (desperate or general-still a goal) we become far more dissatisfied with our "AS-IS" plight in life.

 I can see this might be quite a lengthy blog so I think I will share with those of you who would like to see some dayliliy pictures. Ironically, they actually pertain to my "AS-IS" daylilies that I had to work with, and the wonderful results.

Just to share an explanation;
Back in 2002 I had purchased a daylily named BARBARA DITTMER. I liked her genetics and I liked the price ($20.00) since I was adding to my stash of the "Newest and Latest"-well almost- daylilies to start my hybridizing program. I am not even sure who I bred it too, but by the list of the Pollen Parents I used that year, TRULY ANGELIC is a likely guess. Well, as it worked out, the offspring from that union was better than either parent in my opinion...I garden-named it FIRSTBOURNE because it truly was the firstbourne of all my seeds that I had planted and I was thrilled! It was so pretty and had more vigor than any of the 20,000 seeds I had planted! I proceeded to breed "her" with many other beautiful registered daylilies, but it wasn't until 2009 that I decided to take a risk(in my eyes) and breed it back to itself, according to a great (results show that hindsight is always 20/20!) suggestion and "challenge" from my son Mike). Not being a fan of inbreeding, I had been very hesitant to go that route  until that summer. Was I happy I did!! I had been told that a close breeding will show all the faults and all the positives. So, I used FIRSTBOURNE, my "AS IS" daylily-certainally NOT the latest and greatest- for very rewarding results. After the fact, I saw that I had the mutual genetics of ANGELS SMILE in the "back cross" and I believe that that is where the fancy look and vigor very likely has come from. I hadn't planned it that way, I just used what I had, not having been able to spend the big bucks that I had wanted to spend, but because I listened to a suggestion, I got resourceful and  took the plunge to inbreed on FIRSTBOURNE. I never would have known how much potential was there unless I had-"AS-IS" so to speak! So, here are some of the results of the maiden bloom of "her" offspring-I hope you like them..but of course I am partial, you understand.....

This is the parent seedling FIRSTBOURNE the year of her maiden bloom and the pic after one yr later and then one that is from 2011, a very dry, hot year. Then after those first to pics, I will show you some of her children from that close cross.




Now I would like to share with her her "daughters"!

We named this one Great Idea
because it turned out so well, even though we closely line-bred it.
This one got "dubbed" Another Idea
and is the full sister of Great Idea.









This third one just had to be called
Good Idea as it is the third full sib
of this interesting cross. Little did we think that FIRSTBOURNE OF MANY would give us so many to
enjoy. Only time will tell....

Needless to say my Son and I were "happy campers" and I felt extremely blessed in this,  my first experiment with very close linebreeding. I would never have known, and of course the opposite could have happened and given a lot of junk...but then I would know and be able to save years of waiting, space and labor. Our plans are to do more of this with different ones and see where it takes us. So you see, working with my "AS- IS" seedling paid off.

In it's own way, this all coincides with a scripture that has meant a lot to me in the days of my life. It doesn't make a lot of sense if you want to reason it out, but in hindsight (just like the daylilies above) it does make a lot of sense. To paraphrase the Scripture in Ephesians 5:20 it says: 'At all times and for EVERYTHING giving thanks  in the Name of Jesus'. And also in I Thessalonians it says "Thank God in everything; BE thankful and give thanks for this is the WILL of God for you who are in Christ Jesus".

Does that even MEAN :

A BROKEN DOWN CAR
A DILAPIDATED HOUSE
A BROKEN RELATIONSHIP
A BROKEN BODY
A BROKEN HEART
A BROKEN SPIRIT
A BROKEN PROMISE
            or
A LOST DREAM
A LOST JOB
A LOST OPPORTUNITY
A LOST MINISTRY
?????????????????????

The list goes on and on...

So HOW CAN I THANK GOD AT ALL TIMES FOR ALL THE "AS-IS's" IN MY LIFE!!!???

By realizing and knowing and believing applying those TRUTHS ,

                                                                 THEN and ONLY THEN  am I able to
                                                                                                          WAIT ON GOD
                                                                                                                 TO DO
                                                                                                                WHAT
                                                                                                           HE WANTS TO DO
                                                                                                                  and
                                                                                               HOW HE WANTS TO DO IT...
                       
                                    TO REPAIR
                                    TO REPLACE
                                    TO RENEW
                                    TO RESTORE
                                                             the BROKENNESSes
                                                                           and
                                                                      the LOSSes

                                                                    and then and only then

                                                                    can I LIVE again....
FORGETTING THE THINGS THAT ARE BEHIND
                          and      
 LOOKING FORWARD TO THE THINGS TO COME
                                                                              Phillipians 3:13

I know
 that I know
 that I KNOW
                    that if I try to "out-do" GOD,
                                                           try to
                                                     FIX IT MY WAY,
                                                            try to
                                                    HURRY IT UP
                                                    I TIE GOD'S HANDS.

    I have learned that
                               I need to REALIZE
                                                    and
                                           REMEMBER
                                                   that
                                          WHEN I LET HIM

                                           STAY IN CHARGE

                                           BETTER and GREATER THINGS HAPPEN

                              MUCH BETTER THAN I COULD HAVE EVER HOPED FOR
                                                             or
                                                     DREAMED FOR.

I have learned that
                             I need to SURRENDER
                                                 MY WILL
                                                MY WAYS
                                              MY AGENDA
                                                       and
                                        WAIT EXPECTANTLY

After all,
He is THE CREATOR,
He is a GOOD GOD and
HE TAKES ME "AS IS".......

yes, even me, especially me.... for we are all in "AS-IS" states, that's just the way it is!


                                      Lord God, thank You that You haven't given up on me
                                                       Help me to NOT GIVE UP  on those people
                                                       who are the "AS-ISs" that I have to deal with!
                                                                            or
                                                       those THINGS that I have to Accept "AS-IS"
                                                                            or
                                                        those SITUATIONS that I have to Accept "AS-IS
                                                                            and
                                                       
                                                                PLEASE HELP ME TO
                                                                          KNOW
                                                                THAT YOU LOVE ME
                                                                            and
                                                                 WANT THE BEST
                                                                        FOR ME
                                                                            and
                                                                     FOR THEM

                                                    HELP ME TO KNOW THAT YOU USE
                                                           '
                                                                       THINGS
                                                                           and
                                                                      PEOPLE
                                                                           and
                                                               CIRCUMSTANCES
                                                                           to
                                                                    REFINE ME

                                                    FOR YOU ARE A REFINING FIRE.

Lord, take all my
                         IDIOSYNCRATIES
                 all my                                                                                              
                         DISAPPOINTMENTS
                 all my
                        WISHES and DESIRES
and do with me "AS-IS",
                       for
             YOU DON'T MAKE JUNK!

So help me NOT to see all those THINGS,

                                     all of those PEOPLE

                              and all of those CIRCUMSTANCES
                                                as
                                       "AS-IS JUNK"

I will do my best to accept them and
YOUR PLAN TO REFINE ME

and as
YOU REFINE ME,
YOU WILL RESTORE.
                    RENEW
                    REPAIR
                       and
                  REPLACE
EVERYTHING THAT NEEDS YOUR HAND TO FIX IT-

NOT MINE!

Lord God, please REFRESH ME FOR THE TRIALS AHEAD,
and
please REMIND me
that You are both the CREATOR
and the FIXER
for whatever is needed at the time...oh and Lord....I need PATIENCE TOO!!!
                                         


                               
                                                                   

2 comments:

  1. Loved it very much!!! Very original and INSPIRING, too! Thank you for posting this. It's the very 1st "blog" I've ever read, and didn't realize that you had written it until I put your voice to the words, and then I was about 95% certain it was you...just outstanding writing Mama. I was truly in awe (once again) of your "as-is", God given gift of creative genius. LoVe iT, lOvE It, LOVE IT!!! Honestly, it really forced me to remember that even if I don't see it right now, does NOT mean that God doesn't!

    Thank you for sharing this w/me :)
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Steph you are so sweet.....we'll praise God won't we...because when it is all said and done..all creativity comes from Him, the Master Creator! After all..He created you didn't HE!!?? Love You....

    ReplyDelete